Steve Owyoung, former curator of the famed Asian Art Department at the St. Louis Art Museum, shares that Chen’s paintings are “a return to Chinese art and its inherently decorative foundations; each work is a contemporary revelation of tradition, an innovative take on its subjects, techniques, and materials.” He comments that it is the work’s ‘masterful technique, its invention, its striking beauty – that makes it so important and relevant.’”
Links within the Bruvel Fine Arts website for your further exploration:
* Who is Chen Wenguang and What is his History with Nihonga?
* Master Matazo Kayama on his student Chen Wenguang
* What is Nihonga Art and Its History?
* Symbolism of the Lotus Flower
* The Influence of the Lotus Flower in Chen Wenguang’s Painting